Baking the perfect Neapolitan Pizza is more than just cooking. It is an art and that art is only perfected when you have the right type of oven for it.
In this article, we will go through a few of the best pizza ovens available in the market and help you make the right choice to make the most of the art of pizza cooking.
You will find a great deal of information on the types of pizza ovens, features of a good oven, and a brief overview few selected models by us.
Our top 3 picks
- Best authentic experience: Ooni Pro
- Easy to use: Gozney Roccbox
- Easy to clean: Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven
Comparison among top 8 models
|Oven||Suitable for||Portable||Countertop||Power source||Price level||Cooking space|
|Ooni Pro||Outdoor||Not much.||Yes for some models. But only if a shelf is located in an outdoor kitchen||Woodfire||$$$||Very Spacious (Can cook 2 or 3 mid-sized pizzas at a time. Some models are less spacious|
|Gozney Roccbox Outdoor Pizza Oven||Outdoor||Not much. It is a bit heavy in comparison with other outdoor pizza alternatives||Yes but only if the shelf is located in an outdoor kitchen||Gas-powered||$$$||Not very spacious. Only one medium to large-sized pizza per time. However, cooking time is very short and no preheating is needed for the next one. So, pizzas can be made at a quite good pace.|
|Camp chef italia Artisan pizza oven||Outdoor||Yes||No||Gas-powered||$$$||Very Spacious (Can cook 2 or 3 mid-sized pizzas at a time|
|The smart oven Pizzalo||Indoor||Yes||Yes||Electric||$$$||Not very spacious. Only one medium to large-sized pizza per time|
|Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker||Indoor||Yes||Yes||Electric||$||Not very spacious. Only one medium-sized pizza per time|
|Presto Pizzazz plus rotating oven||Indoor||Yes||Yes||Electric||$||Not very spacious. Only one medium-sized pizza per time|
|Wisco 421 pizza oven||Indoor||Yes||Yes (But will great if installed in wall cabinets)||Electric||$$||Very Spacious (Can cook 2 or 3 mid-sized pizzas at a time)|
|Biolite base camp pizza dome||Outdoor||Yes. It is not very heavy to carry||No||Woodfire||$$||Not very spacious. Only one medium to large-sized pizza per time. Quite spacious if you want to use it as a grill|
Types of Pizza ovens
A pizza oven at your home can be of various types based on its location, mobility, and power source.
Wood-fired pizza ovens are the best when it comes to the taste of the pizza. But they are expensive to built and not suitable for indoors.
Here then come the indoor ovens, which are very convenient. These ovens are much smaller and more practical to be installed indoors. Of course, they cost you much less.
These indoor pizza ovens are mostly gas or electric-powered and can also bake a variety of foods. They could be either shaped as circular pans which are either heated by an electric source or they can be directly placed in the stove. They can also be shaped as traditional ovens with a door opening outside and grills are placed inside. Following are a few of the popular indoor ovens.
The Smart Oven Pizzaiolo
- Temperature can go up to 750 F in just 2 minutes.
- It does not require any assembly.
- It is highly portable.
- It is expensive for home users and may cost you around 800 USD.
- Does not give properly the Margherita look to pizza as it does not have a rotating plate.
- It may take a large space than the microwave.
It is one of the first domestic countertop ovens that can reach 750 F within two minutes, which is an ideal characteristic for Margherita baking. They claim to also replicate the three types of heat generated by a traditional brick oven: Conduction, convection, and radiation.
Presto Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven
- Very affordable
- Easy to assemble, transport.
- Can reach temperature up to 930 F within 60 seconds.
- Great accessibility as you can watch your pizza cooking directly.
- The temperature may not be uniformly distributed.
- The perfect cheese burning cannot be achieved as in traditional American-styled pizza.
- The dough may not swell properly, as the pizza is not enclosed.
It is an unusually styled machine that may look like a cloth ironing machine. It can allow you to cook a range of different foods and give you the chance to watch your pizza closely as it cooks. Therefore, it gives you more control over the look of your pizza. The base disc is rotating which distributes the temperate on the complete disc.
Wisco 421 Pizza Oven
- Very spacious.
- Professional-looking oven with great portability.
- Not very attractive looking
- Slower in comparison with the other outdoor pizza over (may take 10 minutes to reach 450 F)
Though visually not very appealing, this one gives very authentic pizza results. It is an electric pizza oven. Its pizza oven temperature is not up to par with its rivals. As it can only achieve a temperature of 450F in 10 minutes. The oven is not ideal for cooking Neapolitan pizzas which require higher temperatures and shorter cooking times. Instead, it is a perfect choice for pizzas with a thick crust that do not require higher temperatures and short cooking time. However, this temperature
The issue is also common among other shelf top indoor ovens. One of the advantages of this model is that it is very spacious, which allows you to make larger pies. It is best to have one if you are a frequent party thrower.
Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker
- Quite a compact shape and very light to carry.
- The clear space between the pizza top and the machine top is very less. If the dough swells too much it may stick to the top.
- It is very difficult to clean.
- The stone also gets dirty over time and may become too difficult to clean.
A very compact machine with all the pre-requisites of a good pizza oven. It has a dual heating mechanism which also gives you the cheese burning effect a top of your pizza. It can produce brick oven styles pizza in just 10 minutes. It is a counter-top pizza oven. The ceramic pizza stone attached to the lower plate can reach up to 660 F within minutes. It has a special keep warm setting which allows you to keep the pizza at perfect serving temperature. With a 12-inch diameter stone installed in it, you bake pizzas up to 11 inches. There is a small viewing window on the top which allows you to view the pizza while losing any heat from inside.
Outdoor pizza oven
Outdoor pizza oven comes with the benefit of wood-burning capacity, which allows getting the perfect taste and flavor of pizza. They are usually bulky and not portable. They are not very convenient to set up however once set up they are not very difficult to operate. They are usually expensive than indoor pizza ovens. However, they give you the great capability to cook on a large scale.
They can reach up to high temperatures, however, the time to achieve these temperate may be higher than the indoor pizza ovens. Usually, these ovens have traditionally come with only a temporary door which is placed in front of the opening, which is quite small in comparison to the size of the oven. For outdoor use, you can also make a DIY pizza oven with mud.
The following are a few of the popular outdoor ovens.
- Cooking times are less, your pizza will be ready in just 60 seconds or less.
- The Ooni Pro can reach higher temperatures, this gives the right amount of swell to your pizza, with the perfect content of moisture in it and a crispy look.
- Reasonably priced in comparison with other traditional ovens.
- Not very portable.
- The Ooni Pro is in high demand so you may have to wait a bit longer for your delivery.
And if you want to check out the rest of the Ooni Collection we have an in-depth guide here.
Biolite Basecamp Pizza Dome
- Better temperature monitoring using a thermometer.
- A ceramic stone plate avoids extra burns to your food.
- It is a wood-burning oven, which gives you the taste of a traditional Neapolitan oven.
- Lightweight and highly mobile.
- It is not meant for pizza making. It is a secondary feature of it.
- Regulation of temperature is not easy. You may have to remove food to avoid burns.
It is primarily a barbecue and camping stove. While adding additional components like a ceramic stone, it can be also used for pizza making. It is a moderately priced oven and costs you around 400 USD. It has a very perfectly shaped body with very stable supports. One of the added benefits of it that the heat generated by it can be used to charge your mobile devices. It also has a LED light attached to it, which allows it to be used comfortably in dark areas. It is a perfect gadget for your camping adventures.
The manual is clear with step-by-step guidelines on its setup and use. It may take you around ten minutes to completely assemble it. There are several green LED lights installed on top of it, that need to be watched out for. They guide you about the right time to put wood in the oven. This is great to not only maintain a constant temperature within the oven but also prevent your food from being overcooked or undercooked. The fuel is very easy to add.
The instructions about the size of wood are given in the booklet. One of the biggest drawbacks of the machine is that only one pizza can be cooked at one time and it may take 5 to 6 mins to cook the pizza. It is also a perfect choice for a backyard pizza oven. These ovens are similar to the Blackstone pizza oven, which is now discontinued.
Camp Chef Italia Artisan Pizza Oven
- Great design with two-layered walls to conserve the heat for long durations.
- Much better control of the temperature with a valve located in an easy-access place.
- Stainless steel body, which is easy to clean and does not get very hot from outside.
- Easy to assemble with a user-friendly guide provide with the box.
- Portable and lightweight
- It comes with limited accessories. E.g., since it is an outdoor oven with a steel body, it can get damaged if exposed directly to the rain and sunlight. There is no protecting cover with it.
- It is gas-powered. Hence it is more exposed to gas leaks. Proper care should be taken in this regard.
Camp chef pizza oven is a must-have if you are a lover of traditional Margherita or siciliana. Its users have reported one of the tremendous results with a perfect restaurant-like pizza looks. No matter, whether you are just about to start your cooking career or already an expert, it is a perfect choice. Its colorful design boasts further your cooking experience with a super cooking speed.
The Artisan Pizza Oven can even serve the most demanding users. One added benefit of this great oven is that it comes with a very detailed recipe book with almost all your favorite baking cravings. You will not be limited anymore with one type of meal being prepared in your oven. Instead, it will open your horizon for a range of new and exciting recipes.
The pizza kit does not come with this oven, which is a bit of a drawback but that is fine if you can still buy it. You may also have to buy a cover for the oven, as it has a stainless-steel metallic body, which can catch rust.
Gozney Roccbox Outdoor Pizza Oven
- From the manufacture of restaurant-grade pizza oven makers, this oven also delivers its best to its domestic customers. It is popular for its perfect restaurant-like results even for users with little or no experience in baking. It is easy to use and very user-friendly.
- Wood and gas attachments do not require complex assembly.
- It includes a thermometer with it.
- Due to heavy steel jacketing around it, the temperatures can be retained for longer periods.
- Great looking style with multiple colors available.
- A little bit less portable as compared to other alternatives mainly due to its weight.
From the makers of the professional pizza oven, this oven is being marketed as Worlds first portable restaurant-style pizza oven.
It is quite easy to set up and can take up to 20 to 30 mins to be completely functional. Should you face any problem in setting it up, there is plenty of help available on this one online. Once the gas is attached, it will rapidly be built up the temperature to 300 C in few minutes as shown by the built-in thermometer.
One of the added benefits of this oven is that it comes with the option of both gas and wood-burning. Wood burning will satisfy your cravings to have a perfect restaurant-flavored pizza. However, it is easier to control and achieve temperatures with gas power than wood-burning. Usually, there is room for one pizza at a time, but the cooking time is fast.
Moreover, you would not be needing to heat it again for the next one. Unless you prefer to cook for a large number of people at frequent times, the better option is to go for a much cheaper and lighter Ooni Koda.
- Can be used to convert your grill into an oven.
- A cheap option, if you have an outdoor grill but do not have an oven.
- They are oven themselves. They are just an accessory to your grill. You must have a grill with you to use them.
- They can be burnt from the surface, which would be difficult to clean.
Kettle pizza produces special kits to be used with your outdoor grills to convert them to a perfect pizza maker. They produce special steel inserts of various diameters that can be fit inside your grill.
Fixed pizza oven
The fixed pizza oven is the one that usually sits on your kitchen shelves. They are difficult to move and usually fixed in a particular place. Some of the common options for countertop pizzas are:
- Biolite base camp pizza dome
- Gozney Roccbox Outdoor Pizza Oven
- Ooni Pro
Portable pizza oven
Portable pizza ovens come with the advantage of portability, whether they are installed outdoor or indoors. In the case of indoor pizza ovens that are portable enough, their weight is usually less so that they can be lifted easily by a single person. Following are a few of the indoor portable pizza ovens:
- The smart oven Pizzalo
- Presto Pizzazz plus rotating oven
- Wisco 421 pizza oven
- Breville Crispy Crust Pizza Maker
Wood-fired pizza oven.
Wood-fired pizza ovens use pallets of dry wood to heat the oven. They can reach up to 400 to 450 F within five minutes. They produce smoke which can enrich your pizza with the flavors. They can also serve as a fireplace at parties.
Gas pizza oven
These pizza ovens are usually powered with gas. The supply can come from your home gas pipe or separate cylinder. These ovens are easy to operate with less amount of waste produced. However, they still cause black coating due to gas burn of the body of the oven. You also do need to try to cut the wood pallets.
Electric pizza oven
These pizza ovens are powered by electricity. In most cases, they are placed indoors. They are the cleanest way of making pizza but with them, you can never achieve the flavor of a restaurant-grade pizza.
To sum up, there are a variety of pizza ovens available in the market for indoor and outdoor use powered by either gas, electricity, or wood-burning. They are available in a variety of sizes.
In this article, we have listed the pros and cons of each type of model along with a brief overview. The oven you want to buy depends on your desires. If you want a restaurant-grade pizza, you may have to go for an outdoor pizza oven. Of course, it would be heavier on your pocket but if you can afford why not go for it. The other cheaper options are electric indoor ovens which can also give a perfect looking and tasty pizza.
But if I really had to pick one, I would go for the Ooni Pro all day long! Nothing really comes close to it.